How to apply

Printer-friendly version


1. If you made contributions in 2008 and before that, and you have not yet claimed your contributions refund, you may apply as of January 1, 2016.

If you are a current NHT mortgagor who received your loan directly from the NHT, you should not apply for your refunds. The amounts due will be automatically credited to your mortgage account. However, If you received your mortgage through the Joint Finance Mortgage Programme (JFMP) or the Combined Mortgage Programme (CMP) you may apply for your refunds.

2. To apply, you will need:

  • Your NIS Number – If you have more than one NIS number, ask the NIS office for a letter stating which of these numbers is the correct one. Then contact the NHT to ensure that this matches with NHT’s records before you apply.
  • Your TRN (Tax Registration Number)
  • Valid ID (Driver’s Licence, Passport, Voter’s ID). If you have changed your name since making contributions, you will need to provide proof of change of name to the NHT before you apply.  
  • The registered names of the companies with which you have worked and the years when you worked at each company. Select your company’s name from the list of companies available. If your company has changed its name, search first using the registered name on your pay slip for the year the NHT deduction was made. If you cannot find it, search for the new name.

3. Special refunds (for retired employees, Foreign Nationals permanently leaving Jamaica and invalidity pensioners)

You must also apply online. To complete your application, you must take the following documents to your NHT Branch:

  • NIS number
  • TRN
  • Valid ID such as passport, driver’s licence or voter’s card and
  • Verification letter from all your employers indicating the periods worked, the amount paid on your behalf and the company’s reference number.

Once you bring in these documents, you will be advised of the date to collect your refunds. 

4. Reference numbers
When you apply, you will receive a reference number. Please put this number in a safe place. You will need it to check on the status of your application. 

5. Method of payment
Payment will be made only to commercial bank accounts (National Commercial Bank, Bank of Nova Scotia, Sagicor Bank Jamaica Limited, First Caribbean Bank or First Global Bank), NCB Prepaid Keycard Cash, JN Money Transfer Services (JNMTS) or Victoria Mutual Money Transfer Services (VMMTS).

If there is any difficulty in processing your claim, you will be notified via e-mail or telephone. However you may contact our Customer Care Department at:

Toll Free numbers:
(for local callers only)
(1-888)-CALL NHT